U-AV is a collaborative project in which Joris Strijbos and Matthijs Munnik build synesthetic landscapes out of electronic sound structures, generative video and stroboscopic light.
As screens light up in stroboscopic colours an interference of light occurs in the eye inducing psychedelic imagery, revealing visual patterns that exist as hallucinations only. These virtual percepts work together with projected generative visuals, diffusing, interfering, and melting into complex hybrid imagery that exist separate from the screen.
In the sonic domain, a loud generative soundscape washes over the audience. Noisy patches assemble into acid rhythms, massaging low frequencies and screeching noises fill the room. As the installation relentlessly super-stimulates the audiovisual senses, the work opens up and envelops the audience in a meditative and hypnotic zone.
U-AV is realized with the support of Sonic Acts Festival.
Matthijs Munnik is a media artist currently living and working in The Hague. His work consists of performances and installations, that often play with the perception of the visitor. He recently won the Artist & Designers 4 Genomics award for his Microscopic Opera project and was nominated for the kunstlicht award 2010.
Joris Strijbos is a Rotterdam-based artist whose work focuses on the synaesthetic relation and interaction between moving image and sound. In his installations he combines artificial, electronic and digital media with models and algorithms based on biological systems.
Download a hi-res photo of their project U-AV here. (Photo by Ed Jansen)
- SHAPE+ announces 2023/2024 roster of artists
- SHAPE+ platform announces open call for 2023/2024
- Watch: video review of Maintenant 2016
- Photo report: SHAPE at Biennale Némo 2015
- Photos from the SHAPE showcase at ICAS Festival
- SHAPE visiting ORF’s ICAS Radio tonight
- Photos from SHAPE showcase at MeetFactory
- Matthijs Munnik & Joris Strijbos on light, sound and synaesthesia
- MeetFactory: An interview with Michal Brenner
- SHAPE Radio Show 2 @ Resonance FM
- SHAPE is having four showcases in April!